Currently available funding
Civil society and active citizenship strengthened and vulnerable groups empowered
1. Programme summary
The FO is the NGO Support Centre in consortium with Grant Xpert Consulting Ltd.
The programme shall support the objective “civil society and active citizenship strengthened and vulnerable groups empowered” through one open call. The programme modalities are detailed further below and in section 4 of this Annex.
The programme shall cover the following five areas of support:
- Democracy, active citizenship, good governance and transparency
- Human rights and equal treatment through combating any discrimination on the grounds of racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation or gender identity
- Social justice and inclusion of vulnerable groups
The programme shall address the country-specific concerns:
Strengthen the capacity and sustainability of the civil society sector
- Capacity building will take place at two levels: a) at the level of individual organisations b) at the level of the sector
- € 265,000 (21.8%) is set aside for the Outcome Enhanced capacity and sustainability of civil society (organisations and the sector).
- The two-tier application approach designed to increase the chances of smaller organisations to succeed in the call and at the same time encourage partnerships between less and more experienced organisations.
- A number of activities will be organised in order to reinforce different dimensions of CSOs’ capacity building and sustainability in both communities (Turkish-Cypriot and Greek-Cypriot): efforts will focus on fundraising, strategy development, human resource management, to help strengthen the voice of civil society vis-à-vis decision-makers, and civic infrastructure.
Outreach to underserved geographic areas and target groups
- The Fund Operator plans information sessions about the open call outside the capital region and capacity building activities focusing on smaller, less experienced organisations are envisaged throughout the implementation period.
- The strong focus on bicommunal cooperation is also relevant to this country-specific concern, and specific capacity building activities will be organized for CSOs that are operating in the areas of the Republic of Cyprus that are not under the control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus , including activities in Turkish.
Support bicommunal cooperation and projects fostering intercultural dialogue
- Partnerships with CSOs that are operating in the areas of the Republic of Cyprus that are not under the control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus will be promoted.
- The call will include incentives (additional evaluation points) for bicommunal partnerships.
- The Results Framework includes three indicators designed specifically to promote and monitor bicommunal cooperation as well as to foster intercultural dialogue
The programme consists of one open call and no pre-defined projects.
Programme re-granting funds shall be provided through three outcomes:
1. Outcome 1 “Increased citizen participation in civic activities” shall be reached through the open call, offering both small and large grants.
2. Outcome 2 “Vulnerable groups empowered;” shall be reached through the open call, offering both small and large grants.
3. Outcome 3 “Enhanced capacity and sustainability of civil society (organisations and the sector)” shall be reached through encouraging all applicants and project promoters to include capacity building activities in their projects.
A fund operator tasked with re-granting funds to civil society organisations shall be selected through a public tender. The Terms of Reference (ToR) for the Fund Operator shall include country-specific provisions on the necessary experience with,and ties to, the NGO sector in Cyprus, as well as on the relevant legal and international obligations, such as the compatibility with the property rights of natural or legal persons, the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and the case law of the European Court of Human Rights.
Eligible applicants shall be set out in the programme implementation agreement to be concluded between the FMO and the Fund Operator. Any relevant reference in the respective provision of the programme implementation agreement to the Beneficiary State shall be considered as a reference to the Republic of Cyprus.