The PELADRONE service will operate drones specially adapted to marine conditions, which will take-off and land on the fishing vessels. With the help of artificial intelligence (image processing), the drone will be able to search for surface-related indicators, enabling potential catches to be identified at long ranges. The drone is also equipped with a sonar device that can be lowered into the sea and, with the help of artificial intelligence (sonar), identify biological masses below the surface, e.g. type and quantity of fish, presence of bycatch. The drone then communicates this information to the control center, thereby providing real-time information to the fishing boat, giving the skipper an overview of the location and value of the nearest catches.
1. Primary Objective: To increase the competitiveness and sustainability of Portuguese SME fisheries within the focus area of Blue Growth by developing and implementing innovative digital technologies, such as artificial intelligence and drones, in fishing processes.
2. Secondary (shorter term) Objective: To improve the sustainability of marine ecosystems through the collection and mapping of ocean litter and marine ecosystems data.
3. Secondary (longer term) Objective: To rejuvenate coastal communities through digitalization and a blue circular economy model enabled through bilateral relations with Norway and Sweden within industry and research.
Four (4) main activities with deliverables are defined for the PELADRONE project:
- Maturing the PELADRONE digital technologies for streamlining the search phase for traditional pelagic fishing vessels
- Implementing and field testing the PELADRONE system including communication and AI functionality
- Developing the business model of the PELADRONE system and recognizing added opportunities for ocean data collection such as the detection of marine litter.
- Project Management & Communication