Review of the EEA and Norway Grants support to regional policy and cross-border activities in the 2004-2009 funding period. The review was conducted by INTEGRATION and was published in March 2011.
- There is a lack of clear, specific, sectoral objectives and sectoral indicators, therefore there is a lack of coherence within the sector and it is difficult to measure impact.
- In particular, there is little evidence of impact on specific disadvantaged regions or target groups.
- The added value of EEA and Norway Grants is most evident in the area of local cross-border co-operation
- In particular, EEA and Norway Grants offer small grants, which are more accessible to local and regional non-governmental organisations (NGO) than EU cross-border funding.
- With some exceptions, reviewed sub-projects demonstrated real engagement with cross-border partners, and active involvement of large numbers of people on both sides of the relevant borders.