Key information about the programme
1. The programme is operated by: The Slovenian Government Office for Development and European Cohesion Policy (GODC)
2. The Donor Programme Partner in this programme is: The Norwegian Environment Agency (NEA)
3. The programme’s objective is: Climate change mitigated and vulnerability to climate change reduced
4. The programme funding amounts to €14,5 million (excluding co-financing) and is funded by both the EEA Grants and the Norway Grants.
Why is the programme needed?
The Slovenian Climate programme will support both the national and international climate commitments made by Slovenia to mitigate the causes of and adapt to climate change. Due to geographically diverse landscapes and various climate types, Slovenia is today witnessing considerable changes in climate variables, such as rising air temperatures, changes in precipitation patterns and more extreme weather events. The consequences of climate change are already evident in several sectors, including forestry, agriculture and water management.
The programme addresses selected areas that could help Slovenia mitigate climate change and where investment gaps have been identified. The programme will therefore seek to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transport and support the use of renewable energy sources and low-carbon energy supply; contribute to the move towards a more “circular” economy to increase material productivity, thus strengthening the move towards a low-carbon society and green economic growth; and strengthen the protection and restoration of ecosystems in the face of climate change.
What will the programme achieve and who are the beneficiaries?
The programme will contribute to improved data and knowledge on the potential for increased renewable energy utilisation in Slovenia; more efficient and less polluting transport solutions; improved ecosystems protection and better use of resources in the design, production and decommissioning of products. The programme will support pilot projects, the main aim of which is to achieve impact through learning and upscaling of the projects in the future. The programme will contribute to increasing the public awareness of climate change processes and their impact and improve planning and management competencies among key stakeholders in Slovenia.
From this programme we expect the following results:
- Annual CO2 emissions reductions of 2,300 tonnes
- 125 staff will be trained
- 150, 000 persons will be reached by awareness raising campaigns
- 7 pilot projects will be implemented
- 100 hectares of land will be rehabilitated
How will the programme strengthen bilateral relations?
The EEA Grants’ Climate programme in Slovenia will contribute to experience-sharing and promote dialogue and cooperation in areas of mutual interest to Slovenia and the Donor States. Partnership projects between Slovenia and Donor entities is actively encouraged and facilitated. The Donor Programme Partner, the Norwegian Environment Agency, provides advice on the preparation and implementation of the programme.
Availability of funding through open calls
The funding in this programme will be made available through an open call - dates are tentative and subject to change:
- Call 1 will be launched in the first half of 2020
Download the full programme agreement for more detailed information about the programme.