The FMO is recruiting a (Senior) Environment Sector Officer
The Financial Mechanism Office in Brussels is the secretariat of the EEA and Norway Grants and reports to the Foreign Ministries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. We are currently recruiting a (Senior) Environment Sector Officer with deadline for applications of 21 October 2012.
The Financial Mechanism Office (FMO) administers the EEA Grants and Norway Grants on behalf of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The funding schemes aim at reducing economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area (EEA) and strengthening of bilateral relations with the 15 EU countries benefiting from the funding.
Key areas of support include environment and climate change, civil society, human and social development, cultural heritage and cultural exchange, research and scholarships, decent work and justice and home affairs.
The FMO is affiliated to the EFTA Secretariat in Brussels, and reports to the ministries of foreign affairs of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It serves as a contact point for the donor states, beneficiary states and other stakeholders. The FMO has 50 employees.
Division:Financial Mechanism OfficeLocation:BrusselsCategory/Level:A4Type/Duration of Appointment:As soon as possibleStart Date:Fixed-term three years (renewable once if in the interest of the FMO)Job Reference: VA 22/2012
The (Senior) Environment Sector Officer provides expertise on FMO’s work within the priority sectors Environmental Protection and Management, Climate Change and Renewable Energy and Carbon Capture and Storage. S/he provides advice during development and implementation of programme proposals, preparation of programme proposals for Donor grant decision, as well as facilitating reviews and evaluations of programmes within her/his sectors. The Sector Officer reports to the Head of Sector.
• Provide policy advice to the Donors on her/his sectors and maintain close dialogue with the Donor States and the Beneficiary States regarding the FMs priorities and programming requirements;
• Review and prepare programme proposals for grant decisions and follow up programme reporting from the Beneficiary States and Donor Programme Partners where relevant within her/his sector;
• Report to the Donors and other stakeholders on results of supported programmes within her/his sectors based on reporting from Focal Points and Programme Operators;
• Support FMO’s work in her/his sectors for the FMs;
• Contribute to the implementation of the FMO’s risk management strategy within her/his sector;
• Maintain overview and assess relevant developments in her/his sector(s) in Donor States, the Beneficiary States and at the EU level and further develop her/his sectors expertise;
• Maintain close contact with relevant institutions in the Donor States and Beneficiary States; and
• Facilitate contacts and cooperation between Donor and Beneficiary States.
• Relevant University degree, minimum Master’s level.
At least 5 years of relevant work experience (7 years to be considered for a senior position) in public administration, international organisation or project management relevant for the sector.
• Excellent knowledge regarding sector policies and priorities within her/his sector, in particular Donor policies;
• Excellent knowledge of EU policies and programmes in her/his sector;
• Result-oriented approach, and a proactive and cooperative outlook;
• Strong interpersonal abilities, including a dynamic and flexible attitude, and cultural sensitivity;
• Self-reliance and autonomy, but also facility for team work;
• Ability to multitask and to work with tight deadlines;
• Experience with standard office software; and
• Knowledge of the sectors in one or more of the beneficiary states is an asset.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
• Knowledge of another EFTA/EU language is an asset.
Annual Salary: EUR 83,386/EUR 96,571
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the grade. The Director of the FMO reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the FMO wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
Open to nationals of EEA EFTA member states.
We offer a very interesting and challenging position in a dynamic and diverse environment and the opportunity to work in a team of highly qualified people. We also offer favourable tax conditions. In addition, depending on the candidate’s family status, attractive benefits and allowances may apply.
For further information on this position, please contact Mr Rune Vistad, Head of Sector, email@example.com or tel. +32 (0)2 211 18 31.
Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered. Apply now on-line
Deadline for submission of application: 21 October 2012.