The FMO is recruiting Head of Country Unit
The Financial Mechanism Office in Brussels is the secretariat of the EEA and Norway Grants and reports to the Foreign Ministries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. We are currently recruiting Head of Country Unit with deadline for applications of 30 September 2012.
The Financial Mechanism Office (FMO) administers the EEA Grants and Norway Grants on behalf of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The funding schemes aim at reducing economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area (EEA) and strengthening of bilateral relations with the 15 EU countries benefiting from the funding.
Key areas of support include environment and climate change, civil society, human and social development, cultural heritage and cultural exchange, research and scholarships, decent work and justice and home affairs.
The FMO is affiliated to the EFTA Secretariat in Brussels, reports to the ministries of foreign affairs of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It serves as a contact point for the donor states, beneficiary states and other stakeholders. The FMO has 50 employees.
Head of Country Unit
Division:Financial Mechanism OfficeLocation:BrusselsCategory/Level:A5Type/Duration of Appointment:Fixed-term three years (renewable once if in the interest of the FMO)Start Date:As soon as possibleJob Reference: VA 20/2012
The Head of Country Unit oversees the country coordination, and is responsible for the management, supervision and coaching of the staff of the Country Unit. S/he is part of the FMO's management team and reports to the Director.
• Oversee the country coordination work;
• Maintain oversight of the implementation of the EEA and Norway Grants in the beneficiary states;
• Oversee Country Officers' participation in the Memorandum of Understanding and programme/project work;
• Secure annual meeting preparations in the beneficiary states and follow up;
• Secure reporting to the donor states and other stakeholders on results in the respective countries and ensure annual summing up of country results;
• Responsible for providing the donor states and the FMO with all the necessary information on beneficiary states' political and economic developments;
• Oversee the Country Unit's participation in the implementation of the FMO's risk management strategy;
• Oversee FMO's strategic partnerships with the Council of Europe and Transparency International; and
• Coordinate the work of the Country Unit and act as line manager for the Unit staff.
Relevant university degree, minimum Master's level.
At least ten years of relevant work experience.
• Excellent knowledge of EU programmes including Structural Funds and/or other relevant international financing programmes;
• Extensive knowledge of several of the beneficiary states;
• Excellent diplomatic and negotiation skills;
• Result-oriented approach, and a proactive and cooperative outlook;
• Strong interpersonal abilities, including a dynamic and flexible attitude, and cultural sensitivity;
• Self-reliance and autonomy, but also facility for team work;
• Ability to multitask and work to tight deadlines; and
• Experience with standard office software.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
• Knowledge of another EFTA/EU language is an asset.
Annual Salary: EUR 96,571
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the grade. The Director of the FMO reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the FMO wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
Open to nationals of all EFTA and EU member states.
We offer a very interesting and challenging position in a dynamic and diverse environment and the opportunity to work in a team of highly qualified people. We also offer favourable tax conditions. In addition, depending on the candidate’s family status, attractive benefits and allowances may apply.
Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
For further information about this position, please contact the FMO Director, Stine Andresen, email@example.com, tel: +32 2 211 1880.
Deadline for submission of application: 30 September 2012.