New life for Traku Voke manor
The Trakų Vokė manor house, one of the finest examples of neo-classical architecture in Lithuania, is undergoing a complete overhaul of its technical infrastructure.
Built in 1876-1880 and situated south-west of the capital Vilnius, the Trakų Vokė manor was originally owned by the noble family of Tiškeviciai. The manor house has served various purposes throughout its existence. During World War II it was occupied by Nazi authorities, before being used by the Government of the Lithuanian SSR and subsequently housing the Lithuanian Institute of Agriculture.
The manor house will now be turned into a multifunctional venue for seminars and cultural events. It is planned to house a tourist information centre, a new Centre for Heraldry and Genealogy, as well as an exhibition of the history of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The manor is modelled as a smaller version of the Lazienki Palace in Warsaw, and is surrounded by a river bight and a beautiful park adorned by Gothic gates.
The last renovation of the technical infrastructure was carried out nearly 40 years ago. Rain water and snow have penetrated through the roof and pipes have corroded. In its present state, the manor house can only be used 5 months per year. Thanks to €540 000 in support from the Norway Grants, new heating, ventilation, water supply and sewage systems will be installed, and the foundation walls and roof will be properly insulated. New electrical wiring will also be installed. The renovation will enable a year-round use of the premises.
Photo: Royal Norwegian Embassy, Vilnius.