Calls for proposals: Improving the protection of the Portuguese sea
Funding is now available for projects to improve and increase the capacity in Portugal to ensure a sound environmental management and monitoring of the marine and coastal environment.
Portugal is a coastal nation with a large marine area under its jurisdiction. Keeping a good environmental standard of the marine and coastal waters is therefore of vital importance for Portugal and its economy.
Through the EEA Grants, €19.2 million is available for the ‘Integrated Coastal and Marine Management’ programme is the largest of the EEA Grants programmes in Portugal.
Partnerships with entities from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are encouraged. Funds are available for search for partners (see link in list below).
Four calls for project proposals are currently open under the programme:
- Projects to promote and increase the knowledge of the importance of the ocean among young people. Deadline 30 March 2015.
- Projects to improve the national marine environment monitoring capability for remote oceanic areas. Deadline 30 March 2015.
- Projects to improve the knowledge on the human activities, marine environment and their economic, social and environmental impacts in Portugal. Deadline 12 May 2015.
- A project to provide input for the roll-out of a national Marine Environment Management System that covers all four Portuguese sub-regions. Deadline 18 May 2015
- Funding for search for project partners from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Deadline 30 April 2015.
All relevant call information is available on the website of the Portuguese Directorate-General of Maritime Policy who is managing the programme.