Jump to navigation Jump to content

Frontpage News 2012 Young Hungarian researchers

PL0072.jpg

Support to young Hungarian researchers

  • The EEA and Norway Grants have financed the full-time basic research of 33 young Hungarian researchers under a fund that seeks to nurture and train the next generation of Hungarian scientists.

    An aging research community and the tendency for young researchers to move abroad are key challenges for Hungary. A specific fund has therefore been set up under the EEA and Norway Grants to provide financing to projects carried out by Hungarian researchers under the age of 40.

    Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway contribute 85% of the fund’s costs, with fund manager Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA) contributing the remaining 15% of the costs. In total 33 grants have been awarded to young researchers to finance their basic scientific research on a full-time basis in the fields of environment, sustainable development, human resources, cultural heritage, and health and childcare.

  • Country:

    Hungary


    Project title:

    The Furtherance of Internationally Acknowledged Young Researchers' Career

    Case number:

    HU0069

    Priority sector:

    Academic research

    Status:

    Concluded

    Type & project assistance:

    Block Grant - Research Fund

    Project duration:

    33 months

    Project cost:

    € 2,352,941

    Grant rate:

    85%

    Grant agreement date:

    22 September 2008

    The purpose of the Fund is to support sub-projects carried out by young Hungarian researchers within the priority sectors for environment, sustainable development, human resources, cultural heritage, and health and childcare, with the overall objective of ensuring a new generation of researchers within research and development in Hungary. Reference is made to the application, dated 17 January 2008, and to any subsequent correspondence with the Focal Point.



    The completed Fund shall include the following activities and results:

    - Fund management, including publicity activities; and

    - re-granting.



    The Intermediary is the OTKA Office (Hungarian Scientific Research Fund Office).



    The Focal Point shall ensure that the Intermediary provides at least 15 percent of the estimated eligible costs of the Fund.