Preserving the Hiemer House
In the historic town of Székesfehérvár the Hiemer House – a well-known, very beautiful baroque building which was greatly in need of maintenance – is being restored with funding from Norway.
The Hiemer house will be preserved and transformed into a cultural and public venue. The structural complex of the Hiemer House consists of 3 buildings, which are protected and entered on the List of National Heritage. The Hiemer House was originally built as a provate dwelling, but the part adjoining Jókai street also functioned as a parsonage for a period of time. Another part of the complex, the Font house, was built as both a school and store. The Caraffa building was a combination of school, flats and stores.
The baroque-rococo main façade is one of the most spectacular elements of the town’s main square. The architectural examination of the complex has discovered that the buildings were rebuilt between the 15th and 18th centuries and also several times afterwards. They gained their current appearance around the 18th century.
Photo: Tamas Bujnovszky, Riksantikvaren
Baroque heritage - flowering community
Conservation of European cultural heritage
Type & project assistance:
Municipality of Székesfehérvár
Type of institution:
Grant agreement date:
06 December 2007
The purpose of the Project is to preserve a historical building and transform it into a public venue, with the overall objective to contribute to an improved quality of urban life in Fejer County. Reference is made to the application, dated 25 September, 2006, and to the correspondence with the Focal Point dated 6 June 2007, 21 June 2007 and 27 June 2007.
The completed project shall include the following activities and results:
- complete renovation of the Hiemer-Font-Caraffa building complex located at No. 3 Jókai utca;
- restoration of the interior frescoes and stuccoes, as well as of the wood, metal and stonework;
- creation of exhibition rooms and event hall for public purposes, suitable to accommodate community events;
- creation of a baroque wedding hall with all the rooms necessary for operation (offices, studio, staff room, sanitary unit, catering room);
- establishing and equipping the premises for a youth club.
The Project Promoter is the Local Government of Székesfehérvár.
The Focal Point shall ensure that the Project Promoter provides at least 15 percent of the estimated eligible Project cost.